Our Services

We offer free legal advice and representation for Tasmanian residents regarding protection visa applications for asylum seeker and legal advice for humanitarian entrants who are Tasmanian residents and our services include:

Face to face or telephone advice.

Casework assistance, such as, but not limited to:
• helping you with your visa application;
• accompanying you to your interview with the Department of Home Affairs;
• preparing and advocating for you before the Immigration Assessment Authority
or Administrative Appeals Tribunal;
• preparing and representing you in your Judicial Review before the Federal Circuit Court; and
• assisting you with your Ministerial Intervention Request.

Services offered through the Family Violence Migration Service (FVMS).

If you hold any temporary visa and have experienced, or are experiencing family violence, you can access the FVMS for free and confidential advice around the migration pathways available to you.

You do not need to have left the relationship to get advice from a lawyer through the FVMS.

You may be able to receive free ongoing representation through the FVMS if you have applied for or currently hold any of the following visas:

  • Partner visa offshore (subclass 309/100)
  • Partner visa onshore (subclass 820/801)
  • Dependent Child (in the Extended Eligibility visa class) (subclass 445)
  • Distinguished Talent (subclass 858)

The ongoing representation services offered by the FVMS can include:

  • Communicating with the Department of Home Affairs about your relationship
  • Working with other services to collect evidence of the family violence you have experienced or are experiencing
  • Presenting your family violence case to the Department of Home Affairs
  • Representing you in an appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal or the Federal Circuit Court

This is run out of Nigel Mallet House located at:

Level 1, 319 Liverpool Street
Hobart TAS 7000

Phone: (03) 6169 9473